Many people find online therapy to be a convenient and time-effective option, particularly if they work during the day or have other commitments that make it more difficult to attend appointments in person. At Turning Tides, we work online with clients from all over the UK, providing the same high quality care that you would receive face-to-face.
Does online therapy work?
Yes! Online therapy has become more and more popular in recent years, and therefore we are seeing more research comparing the effectiveness of online therapy to face-to-face therapy. The good news is that many studies show that with an effective therapist, online therapy can provide the same results as receiving therapy in person.
Take CBT as an example, in 2020 there was a review carried out of 17 studies comparing online CBT to face-to-face CBT and it found that receiving therapy online for depression may actually be more effective than receiving therapy in person!
What are the benefits of online therapy?
- No travel time
- No travel costs
- Convenience – you can attend your sessions from anywhere
- Flexible – you aren’t tied to the opening hours of a clinic location
- Comfort – you can attend your sessions from the comfort of your home, where you feel safe and secure
- Privacy – you don’t have to worry about bumping into someone you know while you’re sitting in the waiting room, or travelling home from your appointment
- Choice – you will be able to access therapy with highly qualified and experiencing psychologists who might not live in your local area
- Accessibility – there are many people who are unable to leave their house for various reasons, perhaps they have a long term health condition or are struggling with anxiety. Ordinarily, it might be difficult for these people to access therapy but online sessions make therapy accessible to everyone.
How does it work?
Our clinical psychologists will use a video conferencing platform such as Zoom to meet with you online. If you aren’t sure about the technology, they will talk you through exactly what you need to do to join your online session. Once you are online, it is exactly like an in-person therapy appointment. The care you receive will not differ, whether you choose online or face-to-face so it really comes down to personal preference and circumstances.
Contact Us Today
For a free 15-minute consultation with a psychologist complete the contact us form.